Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hot Chocolate Pudding & Food Wednesday

Also? It was 22 degrees when I woke up this morning. Currently it's a "toasty" 27 degrees. I might have to keep the heater on today.


So - Hot Chocolate Pudding. Ever hear of it? Me neither. I'm going to "make it up" <-- maybe I should test-drive this before serving it next week.


We have A TON of Hot Chocolate mix at the church. I fail to see where we'll (meaning "me") ever serve this much hot chocolate. I am TIRED, TIRED, TIRED, of looking at the industrial size boxes and packets of Hot Chocolate. I just see "huge mess" when I glance at them. Not to mention "wasted storage space". 


So - next week - along with my "Mexican New-Year's Meal" I'm going to serve "Hot Chocolate" pudding (maybe with cinnamon to keep the Mexican flavor) for dessert. I plan on making regular pudding (from scratch) and just using the packages/bulk hot chocolate mix for the sugar/flavoring. Although I've called it "Hot Chocolate" ... I will serve it cold.


Here's another recipe that looked good. Custard. I do love me some custard. Maybe I'll make this in the near future for myself. Or add it to the lineup for the "Girl's in the 'hood" dinner for January!


I returned from the beach about 5 pm yesterday. Stopped at the store to buy milk - and purchased some de-boned/skinned chicken thighs for $2.30. I am not really a dark chicken-meat fan - but figure slow cooking them with red-wine, carrots, thyme, and potatoes couldn't be too hard to make them good. Then I went searching and found this recipe. I have everything, even the  Gruyère, here. So I think this will be dinner tonight.


I am also helping a friend with her New Year's Eve party. I will go shopping today for all the ingredients - and do a few (maybe 2) dishes tonight. We are keeping it "easy". So easy that I am not cooking a single NEW DISH. 


Potted Shrimp Spread
Spicy Italian Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Mini-Ham & Swiss Cheese Fritattas
Mini Roast Beef Sandwiches w/blue-cheese horseradish sauce
Clementine & Jicama Salad (okay - I'm making this up) 
Spicy Roasted White & Sweet Potato Fries 


So - that's your fix for Food Wednesday. What'cha cooking up for New Year's Eve?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

New Years Eve will be filet mignon (someone gifted us with some free meat this year), homemade twice baked potatoes, and roasted asparagus with lemon and sesame seeds. And some red wine.

I might have to try the hot chocolate pudding for dessert. Sounds yummy, especially with the cinnamon sprinkled on top.

You're kind of a genius. Except for the part where the chocolate is not on my diet, but the calories don't count because they were totally your idea.

MitMoi said...

Megan! Hey - I'm gonna start sending the ideas TO YOU ... so I can avoid the calories too!

And your asparagus sounds great with the lemon & sesame seeds. I usually do the sesame w/soy sauce and olive oil. I'll have to remember this next time.

Anonymous said...

Let us know how the Hot Chocolate pudding turns out - it sounds wonderful !!! tp