Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Show me! Shelly Mann Modern Jazz Performances

Today I was pretty sure I'd be holding a pity party in this letter. My day started off early - at six o'clock getting right on my "To-do" list. 

The first part of that list involved LinkedIn. This is a professional social network community - like FaceBook, but for professionals, and not so fun.

One of the things I keep hearing as I go to all of these networking meetings is how LinkedIn is the "new job search tool" - and how important working it and using it is to finding a job.

Fine. I've had a LinkedIn account for almost two years. It's not a new technology or resource to me. I didn't do much with it in the past, but I did manage to connect with some people from my pre-move away from Arizona days. Now I've been joining different networking groups - and uploading my resume - and seeing who I know out there, and using it to try and find contacts in companies I'd like to work for.

One of the things "they" stress about the LinkedIn community is getting people to "recommend you". It's like an on-line recommendation letter. 

Well - I know there are a lot of clients and collegues out there who think highly of me - and would be more than willing to say kind things about my skills, talents, dedication to getting a job done right, and always looking out for their best interest. 

But are ANY OF THEM ON LINKED IN???? 

Hell no - because this is the cotton industry and computers are still those "new-fangled things you can play solitary on". (I know this isn't really a fair description of everyone, but it IS the way I feel at the moment.)

I also hate how this is like a popularity contest. To see how many people you can get to join "your side" and in essence "vote for you". (yuck)

However, even today - when I am feeling pretty rotten - I am SO MUCH happier than I've been in years. I am getting to do all the things I love. Analyze, learn, synthesize this knowledge into a plan, strategize how I want utilize the information, and best of all BE CREATIVE and appreciated.

Which is NOT to say my clients didn't appreciate all those very aspects of my skills. They did. And I know that. But there were those who did not appreciate these qualities and skills - and spent inordinate amounts of time compressing me into the smallest corner/box they could find to contain me. It was a deadening experience - and I HATED, HATED, HATED IT.

Anyway - so I was feeling all sorry for myself - and not knowing how I was going to cross this hurdle back into positive land ... and suddenly two wonderful things have happen. 

My complaint above is really echoed by the sentiments in these lyrics, 

"Words! Words! I'm so sick of words!
I get words all day through;
First from him, now from you! Is that all you blighters can do?
Don't talk blah-blah-blah;
Show me! Tell me no dreams
Filled with desire. If you're on fire,
Show me! "

Then later on Eliza continues by saying, 

"Sing me no song! Read me no rhyme!
Don't waste my time, Show me!
Don't talk of June, Don't talk of fall!
Don't talk at all! Show me!
Never do I ever want to hear another word.
There isn't one I haven't heard.
Here we are together in what ought to be a dream;
Day one more word and I'll scream!
...

Please don't "expl'ine," Show me! Show me!
Don't wait until wrinkles and lines
Pop out all over my brow,
Show me now!"



Of course, I've edited out the part about love and hugging and all of that - but this pretty clearly expresses my frustration.

Then I got a lovely recommendation on LinkedIn from someone not in the cotton business, but someone who I consulted for on a cotton project. This is what they said, 

"Mit's subject matter knowledge of her industry is unparalleled and she's quick to meet and exceed client expectations, as her communication and interpersonal skills are top-notch." 
Service Category: Technical Expert
Year first hired: 2007

Top Qualities: Personable, Expert, High Integrity"


What a lovely recommendation, eh?

And then just about 40 minutes ago, I got an eMail inquiry from someone at church. It had been passed onto them that I was interested in a specific Medical Technology/Records Management company. AND THEY WORK FOR THE COMPANY!! And they wanted to know if I'd looked a the job opportunities and if there was something I was interested in!

This is the same company that I talked about when I went to the job fair. I've learned a few things about resume design since that first week of unemployment - so I changed around my resume to incorporate those ideas and shot it off to him. Nothing may come from this - but for me, this is God actively SHOWING ME that he's listening and out there.

I know he's not going to make anything easier for me - or happen any quicker for me. But boy did I need that shot of "show me" today.

Finally - in honor of "Food Wednesday" I'll give you the recipe for the OUTSTANDING pork carnitas I made in the crock pot yesterday.

1 crock pot
1-2 lbs country style spare ribs (or you can use a Boston Butt pork roast)
1/2 c. orange juice
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 c. cilantro sprigs
salt/pepper

corn tortillas

Condiments:
cotija cheese
minced cilantro
sliced red onion
avocado sliced or mashed
jalapeƱo rings 

Generously salt/pepper the pork. Place in crock pot. Add OJ, cumin, cilantro sprigs. Turn on high and cook for six hours. (if you're home, you can move the pieces around from time to time). Both these cuts of meat should produce plenty of cooking liquid. If however, you are concerned - or it starts to dry out - add beer. I would suggest Negra Modelo or Bohemia.

At the end of six hours, meat should be tender, moist and shred-able/cut into chunks-able. Do so - and place in a fry pan that can go into the oven. Put oven on broil and place meat in pan and pan in oven. Watch meat caramelize. Turn so it caramelizes on all sides.

While meat is caramelizing take another small skillet - add tiny bit of fat from crock pot (there should be a lot of juice/drippings in the crock pot) and fry tortillas in pig drippings.

Serve with condiments. 

If you don't have a crock pot, you can do this in the oven or on the stove top. It must be a covered container - and cook on low heat - about 225 in the oven and Med/Low on the stove top. A very low simmer - but no boiling. Time should be just about the same.

It was FABULOUS - and I only have 40 minutes until it's lunch time and I can warm up some more!

Happy Food Wednesday everyone! 

1 comment:

talla palla said...

Sounds delish - better than my stew I fixed in the crock pot today ! Maybe the Modela would have help ???tp