Friday, June 26, 2009

Zoot Sims - In the Middle of a Kiss

This has the smoothest sound. Kind of a dreamy quality I think. Can you close your eyes – and see a huge shade tree with green grass? Laying on a blanket – with a great book – maybe a nice chilled bottle of wine. Some fresh berries?

Zoot played with renowned bands, including Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Stan Kenton, and Buddy Rich. Sims was also one of Woody Herman's "Four Brothers", and he was known among his peers as one of the strongest swingers in the field. He gained the nickname “Zoot” while playing with Kenny Baker in California. It’s believed his name became the inspiration for Jim Henson’s sax-playing Muppet of the same name.

They liked the story last night. They said it had more “heart and feeling” than what they’ve seen of Josiah. So – that’s good. It means I CAN write and get there. Maybe it’s a feeling I can try and translate with Josiah. There’s a small section that needs some work. I played around with it after I got home, but what I changed messed up the line that follow. I’m not really sure how to fix the problem. I’ll have to mull on it.

I also told them my two “sensate” ideas for Josiah. One centers on sourdough starter and the other on a “hole”. Next week we’ll see if I’m no the right track.

Big wedding tomorrow night. I’ll wear a fancy dress and everything. Which means I need to go find some strappy sandals. I have a hair apt. in the afternoon at 11:30 – wedding is a 4pm. So I guess I better get the shoes bought, present picked out, and wrapped tonight. I may not get to go hear Big Medicine, unless I do the shopping on my lunch hour. UGGG. Any cleaning, laundry, or writing better be first thing tomorrow morning. My lazy Saturday has just evaporated. *

I kind of changed up the dessert last night. It was good. I got it from here: Instead of strawberries I used a mixture of blueberries, blackberries and nectarines. When it was done I used the topping from the originally planned recipe … just the almonds, turbinado sugar and egg white part. It was good. The tortilla was a hit too.

What are you doing for fun this weekend?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad your contemporaries liked the new Josiah.

This is beginning to be a nice weekend for us - went to the show this afternoon, saw The Proposal, with Sandra Bullock - terrific comedy. Going to the Museum tonite to hear a speaker on "Grizzly's of California". Should be very in- teresting.

Had DAn & Jean over for dinner last night - they provided the liver and I provided the onions and the rest of the meal. It was their 50th anniversary.

Would like to go to Amicus Book Shop tomorrow morning and hear the two local men talk about early Mrysle history. We'll see.

Then Sunday night, Inger & Palmer are coming over for dinner - think I'll do BBQ steaks - haven't had a good steak in a long time !!! tp