Tuesday, June 30, 2009

CHÔRO-CANÇÃO Penumbra

I love this style of music. Choro Music is from Brazil – and was popular in the 1920s and 1930s. I think this particular piece is very evocative of summer. It has a “watery” sound. I think of a grotto with water dripping into a shallow pool. And wouldn’t we all like to be out of the heat and somewhere still and quiet? Maybe sipping on a mojito?

Saturday I tottered around on my high-heels. I managed to not trip – and not spill anything on myself or anyone else at the wedding. The wedding was lovely. When we were presented with the wedding program, Lee rolled his eyes and said, “Oh no – this is going to be forever.” It started at 4:00 o'clock was done by 4:20 … near the end, I leaned over and told him if I ever get married the ceremony will last for HOURS AND HOURS so no one will forget. He chuckled and said, “I’m not worried.”

The bride was a debutant, presented at the Terpsichorean Ball in 2006. Everything was understated and elegant. There were two huge floral sprays on the alter, given by the uncle of the bride, and the rest of the sanctuary was undecorated. It was a large wedding party – 9 bridal attendants and groomsmen. I was surprised to see the groom’s father standing with the front of the church until I remembered this is a southern tradition. The Best Man is usually the groom’s father.

The reception, held at the country club, was equally refined with a four piece jazz quartet supplying the music. There were miniature hamburgers, sweet potato ham biscuits, and roast turkey with cranberry-Dijon mustard sauce on the buffet.

Yesterday as I was getting ready to toss my dress into the wash I decided I should look at the label – to make sure I didn’t screw anything up. You never know with synthetics. It wasn’t until I found the duster (overcoat) to the sheath dress that I realized it was 100% silk. I guess I won’t feel so “matronly” and “polysesterish” in the future.

Sunday I joined some friends for a very leisurely lunch after church – then came come and continued the theme of leisure. I read a book, took a nap, and ate cold cereal for dinner.

Hope you all had a good weekend too … I’m looking forward to the 4th of July; a three day weekend and a late afternoon b-b-q with some friends. I think I’ll treat Friday as a “writer’s retreat” day. Actually go somewhere else and spend the day working on my craft.

Then just three more short days and my home-repair team arrives from Ohio. I’ve been excited about this … ‘till last night when I started thinking about the impending dust, destruction, interruptions, and cacophony that will invade my house. Thank GOD we’re not remodeling the kitchen. I don’t know if a friendship could survive a project that invasive.

No comments: