Friday, July 24, 2009

Judy Niemack - Bye Bye Blackbird

Striving to be distinctive – is a description of Judy Niemack’s work. In Bye Bye Blackbird, we hear a distinctive jazz guitar influenced piece which contrasts with the trumpet fueled version by Miles Davis. Of course this version has every element of a torch song. Baby it’s hot! (Also? Isn’t Julie London “Nurse Dixie McCall” from Emergency? Who knew she could smolder?)

(ps: See Jason? I DID watch TV at one point in my life.)

Judy’s version of Bye-Bye Blackbird remains true to her own voice. Striving to be distinctive is also important in writing (duh). I think, with a few minor polishes, which I feel competent to complete (!), my short-short story (378 words) is done. (And the angles and I BOTH rejoiced).

I was thinking about the “truth” of my writing on my way to work this morning and came to this conclusion. I really AM a “western” writer – and I think my works will always be tied to themes of land, distance, water, geography, and independence. I’m not sure if that’s part of “voice”, but I’m sure it’s part of my “theme”.

With Jason gone it was kind of lonely last night and this morning. But one of the nice things was the ablity to get back to my “true” routine. The results of Jason’s visit continue to improve my mornings. One of the things I love to do is turn up the music loud, then take my shower. Prior to his arrival I had a bathroom vent whose sound output was equal to a SR-71 prior to take off. Which pretty much rendered “listening to music” as I showered impossible. Unless I chose to wake up the entire neighborhood – or didn’t use the fan/light until AFTER the shower. (which kind of makes seeing in the morning darkness difficult). But now I have a NEW fan – and it is quiet, quiet, quiet. Sometimes I can’t tell if I’m hearing the water or the fan. And this morning I could TOTALLY hear my music AND have a steam-free bathroom after my shower. Yay!

On the other hand – we had a HUGE storm roll through last night and being alone wasn’t so great. It started around 1:30 am and lasted for over an hour. It would have been fun to have a guest – to sit and watch the lightening with – and have a co-obsesser over the neighbor’s tree that is leaning towards MY electrical lines. Luckily their tree is still upright and I still have power this morning.

Hey, did you know it’s Friday? For some reason it feels like a Thursday to me. I’m not sure I’m ready for the weekend yet, and I think it’s going to be a busy one. I’m getting the gray out of my hair on Saturday morning. Also– meeting a friend on Saturday for a little wine drinking and “grazing” at dinner time. I have some India Raita sauce made up and Muhammara (roasted red pepper and walnut spread), plus pot stickers to contribute. I also might make up some salsa cruda (but add avocado and some vinegar instead of lime juice). She’s supplying shrimp and other goodies.

On Sunday I’m going to a different church to hear a Sunday School classmate who’s in divinity school preach a sermon. It’s a surprise. I hope we don’t make her nervous!

Plus c-l-e-a-n-i-n-g, c-l-e-a-n-i-n-g, c-l-e-a-n-i-n-g, c-l-e-a-n-i-n-g. What’cha doing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, it's nice to have company, but it's alway nice when they leave - however, you always have that "Gee I miss him/her feeling !"

Hope your weekend went well. I, on the otherhand, went to Lodi and sat with our young 9yr. old grandaughter. Who can be a pill sometimes - and sooo sweet and com-
pationate at other times ??? This was not a compationate visit - she caught a virus from her mother, so wasn't feeling her best. I forgive her.

Now, back to reality - Sutter Co. Fair this coming week - I have to work 3-4 days or nights for Gd.Club and Quilt Gld. so will be HOT and busy.

OBH is leaving Monday AM to scout out his & G.K.'s hunting area for their trip next month. tp