Sunday, November 25, 2007

Now THAT'S a Friend

On Thursday I offered my famous Spinach/Broccoli (hide the leftover turkey) Enchilada’s as dinner to Mister Guitar. Then I dived into my writing project – and have essentially not come up for air all day Saturday or today. (I spent Friday in a stupor … getting NOTHING accomplished. Not even any good procrastination)

So when he sent a e-mail to see if we were still on, I felt kind of bad. “I won’tknow until about 3 o’clock. I’m really trying to grind out some pages.” The response I got back wasn’t what I was expecting.

“You know, I can come over and do the cooking, if you trust me in your kitchen.”

I thought about it … then told him I might just take him up on his offer. And so that’s how I came to be treated like a writing princess tonight.

He arrived.

I gave him the recipe – showed him where everything was … and then went back to my writing.

He chopped and diced and stirred and sliced and grated. When the enchilada’s went into the oven he said, “We have about a half-hour. I’m just going to lay on the couch and take a little nap.” And he did! Quiet as a mouse – not disturbing me for two seconds.

Two seconds before the timer went off, he rolled off the couch and went into the kitchen to check on stuff. I quickly set the table then we sat down to some OH SO YUMMY enchiladas.

After dinner – HE DID DISHES (clearly a violation of the, "He Who Cooks, Does Not Have to Clean Up Accord" signed in 1972, but I wasn’t going to complain) … then finished his beer, slipped on his coat and took off into the night.

Welcome to your new home away from home, Mister Guitar!

3 comments:

Geggie said...

Ah! I love friends like that! He's a keeper for sure.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm loving Mr. Guitar already! My kind of man :) You're lucky to have such a treat.

Now you just gave me an idea on what to do with the last of the turkey still in my fridge. Enchiladas it is!

Anonymous said...

What a great friend!! But then, so are you!! Best of luck on your writing!!!