Thursday, April 12, 2007

Lust and Love

For years I've longed to touch the sleek body. To run my hands over its art deco design - to push the motor to the limit without fear of burning it up. I've carried this lust in my heart for 20 years. It's always been at the top of my "someday" list. Someday, I will have the money to spend. Someday I will not feel guilty purchasing this piece of performance art. Someday I can justify the cost. Each time I see one on the showroom floor - am am drawn to its side. Industrial Designer Edmont Ahrens knew his business when he designed this beauty. The bullet silhouette is so iconic it has been patented. For me, the beauty of the design is heightened because it's coupled with simple functionality. No extra trim or adornment on this baby, and the accessories designed back as far as 1919 still work perfectly with today's models. Not only do I gravitate towards this apparatus when I encounter it in its pre-ownership state, I also oogle it and make silly noises over it every time I encounter it in a domestic setting. Oh Sweet Jesus it's true. I've lusted after this baby and coveted its all-purpose usefulness. Today my lust has turned into possession. Those who love me most, who know the inner workings of my teeny-tiny wrinkly little heart submitted themselves unto my pleasure. This morning I opened a box that's been sitting in my living room for a week, and discovered I now posses what I've always lusted after. Behold the beauty, and power, of lust and love * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Some things are worth waiting for - and some things are worth dreaming about. Some things you lust after - and those that love you - change that endless longing into happiness. Thanks Mom and Dad.

6 comments:

Joseph H. Vilas said...

Ha ha ha... excellent. I love having mine. Now I wish I'd gone ahead and shelled out the $ for the 6 quart model: it's hard to grind and mix 5 pounds of sausage in the 4 1/2 quart model. My other regret is that I gave away my dinky little hand mixer, and sometimes it would be nice to use it for small items, instead of trying to use my behemoth.

Anonymous said...

Glad you got what your heart desires!! Many happy years doing what you love most with it!!! Next, you'll lust after a "bigger" one!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just three things:

1.) Congratulations!

2.) Happy Birthday!

3.) Get a LIFE! : ) -alacrityfitz

Anonymous said...

Now - where are you going to put the damn thing ???????

MitMoi said...

Talla Paula I don't know! It's HUGE. Where did Original Box Dad put his?

alacrityfitz ... I DO have a life... it's in here ;) And thanks, for the congratulatory wishes.

i h8 24 Next size up is a Hobart - 20 Quart mixer!!! I think I'm good to go with 6 quarts.

Joe ... I still have Talla Paula's mother's hand mixer. 70 years later it still works! Every time I use it I say a little prayer that this isn't the time it decides to die.

Woodstock said...

Ah...yes, I understand completely, though my lust didn't turn to obession until I saw the version with hot rod flames painted on it.

Happy birthday! And may the best of this past year be the worst of next!