Friday, July 10, 2009

Roger Glasper - Maiden Voyage/Everything In Its Right Place

It seems as my new kick is Trios. The Alex Skolnick Trio, the Esbjörn Svensson Trio (E.S.T.), and the Roger Glasper Trio are my favorites.

I see a very strong link between E.S.T. and the Roger Glasper Trio. Although Esbjörn and Roger are both pianists, there’s a forceful percussive element running through their work. It reminds me of driving for some reason. Fast, straight driving. You could listen to this as you leave Yuma, Az and head west on I-10 for Los Angeles. Or maybe twisty driving too. I think it would fit perfectly for the Beartooth Highway which loops between the Montana and Wyoming boarder.

It’s also very “moody” music. Sometimes wildly joyful – others introspective – and occasional brooding hinting at storm-cloud filled thoughts.

My favorite part of Maiden Voyage/Everything In Its Right Place occurs about 7:43. I love the ceramic sound of the percussion and the lyrical piano. < silly smile >

Yesterday the boys went on a little walking tour of Raleigh – and found the pizza shop at the end of my street. So as I sped off to class, they walked down to the corner to bring home their Hercules – also know as the artery hardener. Canadian bacon, ground beef, Italian sausage, pepperoni and salami. It’s not that there wasn’t food in the house to eat. They just decided cooking fresh string beans was beyond their cooking skills.

I keep forgetting how non-cooks stock their kitchen and what they consider “food” vs what I consider “food”. I almost felt like a mom when I got home from class. I totally wanted to say, “there’s plenty in this house, why did you spend money on food?”

Tonight I will cook!

This morning all three of us were out of the house early – and on our way to Lowes. Now that all the supplies are in place we can move forward with the “work” section of the vacation. You know – I’m not a big fan of shopping. I hate having to look at seven different types of tape to find the “right one”. Someday I’d like to have a manufacture with me – preferably the head of the packaging division – and give him a lesson on “Informative & Easy to Distinguish” packaging theory.

No comments: