Saturday, December 15, 2007

Delightful, Delicious, Decandent

Today … I woke up late. Put on a pot of coffee and grabbed the newspaper. After looking over the front page I went into the kitchen and made Buttermilk Pancakes and Scrambled Eggs for breakfast.

I returned to the couch after breakfast and finished the paper. (I LOVE Mr.Handyperson)

It’s entirely possible I went back to my bed without doing the breakfast dishes.

The rest of the day I’ve spent in a similar slothful way. Not a writing project undertaken, no laundry, no cleaning. Why, I didn’t even take a shower until 5:00 pm tonight.

After the shower, I did clean up the breakfast mess, open a bottle of wine, and cooked for myself. Irish Soda Bread Curried Cauliflower Rosemary Rubbed Pork chops

Now back to bed and Bill Bryson, In a Sunburned Country

PS: Here’s the recipe for the Curried Cauliflower. It is ridiculously easy –and VERY flavorful.

Cauliflower Curry (6 servings)

1 lg. red onion, diced

2 teaspoons coriander seeds

1 teaspoon cumin seeds

1 cup water

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 small jalapeño, thinly sliced

One 2-pound head of cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets

Kosher salt

1 medium tomato, seeded and diced

2 tablespoons minced cilantro

  1. In a blender, puree half of the diced onion with the coriander and cumin seeds and 1/4 cup of the water.
  2. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the remaining diced onion and the jalapeño slices. Cook the vegetables over moderately high heat, stirring a few times, until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Scrape in the onion puree from the blender. Pour 1/4 cup of the water into the blender; swirl it around, then pour it into the skillet. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion sauce begins to stick to the bottom of the skillet and turn brown. About 10 minutes.
  3. Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of the water, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Stir in the cauliflower and season with salt. Cover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in the diced tomato and the minced cilantro and cook until warmed through. About 1 minute. Serve.

1 comment:

Geggie said...

The cauliflower sounds tasty...I love the stuff. I'm reading Heat by BB right now, it's really good, the first I've read and I'll be reading more.