Saturday, March 24, 2007

Beachside, Mood - Relaxed

One of the dinner groups I belong to is down here at Atlantic Beach. I rode down with one couple – we had such a good time talking and laughing, we took a wrong turn, missed the bypass, and took the “old” way – a two lane road and went sight-seeing on our way down. We arrived just in time for cocktail hour. Then we went across the bridge (after waiting for it to close – it’s a drawbridge) to dinner. The crab stuffed soft-shelled crabs were out of this world! Came here back to the house. It has a reverse floor plan. The third story is the kitchen and living area. The second floor has 3 bedrooms, and my floor (ground), has my room, my own private bathroom, THE ELEVATOR CLOSET, and the garage. Yes, that’s right, there’s an elevator in this house. It runs between the three floors – except you have to remember to close the “closet” door and the elevator gate after you exit the elevator so you can call the elevator to another floor. This morning we had omelets in plastic bags and bacon. It was a “nibble lunch” with bowls of Cajon crab dip, mango peach salsa & chips, a cheese ball, grapes and apple wedges all laid out to graze on. Then came the “dispersement”. One couple flies kites. They went into town to greet the local kite purveyor and return with an new toy. The host couple went for a ride to check out the new construction, and the third couple went down to the beach. Me? I made my French Marmalade French Toast casserole, which we’ll eat tomorrow for breakfast, then took my shower and sat on the porch. While looking out at the Atlantic, I worked on Josiah, and continued to read Lee Smith’s On Agate Hill. Cocktail hour tonight started about four. Choice of martini’s or crisp white wine. Dinner was “Frogmore Stew”. A boil containing red-potatoes, corn, kielbasa sausage, and shrimp. Plus a red cabbage slaw and garlic toast. Ummm-mmm. Although I am younger by 15 to 20 years, I always enjoy the conversations engage in. Tonight we discussed the Civil war from the southern and northern perspectives – while entwining it with Josiah’s story. Now we’re watching UCLA and Kansas. I’m sure you know who I’m rooting for!

No comments: